A new collective space, a new “commons,” in the city: welcome to Theater Commons Tokyo.
Expect theater, lecture performances, workshops and dialogues, held across Minato ward!
Theater Commons Tokyo is a project to create a collective space for society that harnesses the collective wisdom of theater. By using theater – that is, by applying theatrical ideas – in the context of everyday life and the urban space, it aims to propose a model for theater(s) to come. Theater Commons Tokyo and its artists use the imagination of theater to create experiences in which diverging elements and time periods intersect, and the ordinary is defamiliarized through dialogue and discovery.
For this fourth edition, we organize a 11-day intensive that includes theatrical pieces involving various invented technologies of the old and the new, performances, workshops, and discussions.
Theater Commons Tokyo is held in venues across Minato ward as part of Minato City FY2019 Minato Cooperation Project for Cultural Program. The executive committee is composed of Arts Commons Tokyo and the following international cultural institutions based in the ward: Taiwan Cultural Center (Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in Japan), Goethe-Institut Tokyo, Institut français du Japon, and Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- Theater Commons Tokyo ’20
- February 27th – March 8th, 2020
- Venues: Various places in Minato ward, Tokyo
- Theater Commons Tokyo Executive Committee
- Chairperson | Chiaki Soma (Representative Director, Arts Commons Tokyo)
- Vice-chairman | WANG Shu-Fang (Taiwan Cultural Center, Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in Japan)
- Member | Peter Anders (Director, Goethe-Institut Tokyo)
- Samson Sylvain (Embassy of France in Japan / Attaché culturel, Institut français du Japon)
- Bas Valckx (Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands)
- Natsuko Odate (Board Director, Arts Commons Tokyo)
- Auditor | Yohei Suda (Lawyer)
- Theater Commons Tokyo Staff
- Executive Director | Chiaki Soma (Arts Commons Tokyo)
- Production Manager and Coordinator | Satomi Shimizu (Arts Commons Tokyo)
- Project Coordinator | Natsuko Odate, Fumiko Toda, Sayuri Fujii (Arts Commons Tokyo), Makiko Yamazato, Maiko Kobayashi
- Project Advisor | Kyoko Iwaki (Arts Commons Tokyo)
- Editor | Satoko Shibahara, Mai Hashiba
- PR Advisor | Naoko Wakabayashi
- Translation | Lillian Canright, Hibiki Mizuno (Art Translators Collective)
- Art Direction / Design | Kensaku Kato (LABORATORIES)
- Web Design | Kensaku Kato, Hiroki Ito (LABORATORIES)
- Intern | Mayu Ushiyama, Ayano Okawa, Kiyoka Kobashi, Ayumi Seki, Ushin Tei, Alena Prusakova, Ai Matsumoto
- Accountant | Kotomi Matsushita
- Legal Adviser | Yohei Suda (Lawyer / Arts Commons Tokyo)
- Theater Commons Tokyo '20 Technical Staff
- Stage Manager | Lang Craighill
- Lighting | Megumi Yamashita (RYU.Inc)
- Sound | Takeshi Inarimori
- Movie | Yuki Sato (Edith Grove)
- Documentation Video and Photography | Shun Sato