Theater Commons Symposium
“Theater that is expected and foreseen – common space/common knowledge for theater and society”
Theater Commons Tokyo was born out of the aspiration to bridge the ideas of using theater and making a theater space. This symposium will look back on the questions and observations that emerged during the 12 days of Theater Commons Tokyo through discussion between the participating artists and guest speakers. How can we expand the concepts of theater as both a medium and a place, and engage in dialogue with history and others to highlight aspects of society that are ordinarily hidden from view? How can we take attempts to apply theatrical ideas to architecture, urban studies or welfare, and channel them back into avant-garde theater? Join the speakers as they debate these vital issues.
- Ryuta Ushiro (Chim↑Pom, Artist)
- Akira Takayama (Port B, Theater Director)
- Hikaru Fujii (Artist, Filmmaker)
- Etc. (TBA)
- Moderator│Chiaki Soma (Director Theater Commons Tokyo, Representative Director Arts Commons Tokyo)
Art producer. Chiaki was the first Program Director of Festival/Tokyo, Japan’s leading performing arts festival, from 2009-2013, as well as the first Director of Steep Slope Studio in Yokohama from 2006-2010. In 2014, she established NPO Arts Commons Tokyo and became the representative director. In 2015, she received the Chevalier de L’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres. Since 2016, she has been a Specially Appointed Associate Professor, College of Contemporary Psychology, Body Expression and Cinematic Arts, Graduate School of Contemporary Psychology of Rikkyo University, Tokyo.
February 5th / 13:00–15:30
- Minato Gender Equality Center “Libra”, Libra Hall
- 1F Minato Park Shibaura, 1-16-1 Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0023
- Tel: 03-3456-4149
- How to Participate
- Free / Reservations required
(first come, first served)
- - The event is limited to 180 persons.
- - Participation is free but donations are welcome.