In the eleven years since it was founded, the art collective Chim↑Pom has carved out an at times controversial reputation as it tackled social problems head-on in ways that have transcended conventions. From the exhibition “Don’t Follow the Wind,” which is held inside the Fukushima exclusive zone and inaccessible to visitors, to the recent “So See You Again Tomorrow, Too?”, a site-specific event inside a Kabukicho building facing demolition, its artistic endeavors have penetrated to the heart of our lives today. Along the way, it has divided audiences, caused scandals, and generated discussion. In this sense, Chim↑Pom has always been theatrical. Now Theater Commons Tokyo has commissioned Chim↑Pom to create a new video work and its first ever lecture performance, bringing together all its past and present work in the unique surroundings of SHIBAURA HOUSE.
Chim↑Pom is an artist collective formed in 2005 whose practice responds to contemporary issues with a strong social message. Though based in Tokyo, the group develops projects around the world. In 2015, the collective opened its own space, Garter, where it curates events. On March 11th, 2015, it launched “Don’t Follow the Wind,” an international exhibition located inside the Fukushima exclusion zone that is scheduled to continue until the ban is lifted and public access is allowed again. Chim↑Pom has been the subject of many solo and group exhibitions, including at the Saatchi Gallery (2015), MoMA PS1 (2011, 2014), the 9th Shanghai Biennale (2012), and the 29th São Paulo Biennial (2010).
Photo by LESLIE KEE
February 2nd / 19:00
February 3rd / 14:00 /19:00
February 4th / 19:00
February 5th / 17:00
- 5F SHIBAURA HOUSE
- 3-15-4 Shibaura, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-0023
- Tel: 03-5419-6446
- How to Participate
- Adults: ¥3,500
(Minato ward residents: ¥3,200)
- Booking & Discounts
- - All seats are unreserved.
- - Minato ward residents: Please show proof of address to claim your discount.
- - High school students or younger, seniors aged 70 or over, disabled: Free. Booking by telephone only: 080-3936-6676 (10:00 – 18:00, except December 30th – January 4th)
- - No entry for preschoolers
- - Box office and venue doors open 30 minutes before start. Tickets are also available on the door (at an additional ¥500).
- - Please show the QR code or confirmation email at the box office (no paper tickets are issued).
- - Tickets cannot be changed or cancelled after purchasing.
- Conceived and Directed by Chim↑Pom